The Agile BioFoundry is a consortium of seven U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) national laboratories that operate as a distributed biofoundry in collaboration with industry and academia. Funded by DOE’s Bioenergy Technologies Office (BETO), our work supports BETO’s goals to develop sustainable aviation fuels and decarbonize energy-intensive industries. We collaborate with industry and academia to accelerate innovation and adopt new biomanufacturing methods.
Today, the Agile BioFoundry comprises seven national laboratories.
Sustainable biomanufacturing of affordable fuels and chemicals
Develop biomanufacturing tools, processes, and partnerships that enable sustainable industrial production of renewable fuels and chemicals for the nation
- Partnerships: Actively develop funds-in and BETO-funded projects that result in technology transfer to industry
- Tools: Develop and demonstrate engineering biology, computational, and bioprocess tools that advance strain performance for the sustainable production of fuels and chemicals
- Sustainable Aviation Fuels: Develop innovative pathways, strains, and processes for the production of sustainable aviation fuels
- Biochemicals: Develop innovative pathways, strains, and processes for the sustainable production of direct replacement and performance-advantaged chemicals
Our multi-disciplinary team brings together scientists, engineers, and technical staff.
Working together with industry
Our goal is to work with industry to identify and help remove barriers to adopting biomanufacturing technologies.
Our industry engagement and outreach team works to expand the number and diversity of our industry partnerships and track the impact of project technologies.
Feedback from our industry stakeholders supports decision-making and project-planning activities among the Agile BioFoundry and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Bioenergy Technologies Office. We accomplish this via:
- Industry needs assessments
- Marketing and outreach
- Meetings and workshops
- Continuous dialogue with our Advisory Board